What to Expect: Google, Facebook and Amazon Product Marketing Manager Interview
Google tests the product marketing manager (PMM) candidates in four different areas:
- Marketing aptitude
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills
Marketing aptitude (interview questions)
In this area expect questions like:
- Tell me a terrible product that’s marketed well?
- Tell me an excellent product that marketed poorly?
- How would you position the Samsung Chromebook?
- If you’re PMM for Google AdWords, how do you plan to market it?
- Name a piece of technology you’ve read about recently. Now tell me your creative execution for an ad for that product?
Communication skills (interview questions)
In the process of testing your communication skills, expect questions such as:
- Google is increasing AdWords’ minimum cost-per-click from $01 to $10. How would you communicate this change to advertisers?
Analytical skills (Interview questions)
You need to be prepared to answer questions like:
- How much money does Gmail make from ads?
- How many iPhones are sold in the US each year?
Creativity (Interview questions)
Google PMMs think big, so they don’t do marketing campaigns or creative execution just because Apple did it. They come up with clever ideas. In your testing for creativity, expect questions such as:
- Come up with three creative ideas to promote Google Docs
The Facebook interview includes:
- Traditional questions
- Behavioral questions
- Hypothetical questions
- Product design questions
- Marketing plan
Below are Facebook product marketing manager questions, based on candidate reports:
Traditional questions for Facebook interview
- What are you doing now?
- Why do it?
- Describe a successful marketing campaign you developed. Why was it successful?
- Describe a role you held you had to influence the software or UI. What were you able to accomplish?
- Describe how you would tackle a client situation with Facebook products.
Product design questions
- What can you do to make the FB login product better (Platform side)? How can you improve it?
- You have limited time/resources, but you have to market X feature to the application developers. How would you do that?
- If you have to launch a new Facebook advertising product in Indonesia, how would do it?
How Amazon tests the product marketing manager (PMM) candidates
Amazon questions for product marketing manager are in general focused on leadership principles. You must have a fluent understanding of their leadership principles.Expect behavior based questions like:
- What’s a time you took on something outside your normal responsibilities?
- Tell me about a time when you had too many tasks to juggle. How did you handle that?
- Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your Manager
- Tell me about a time when you didn’t report to the manager and made the deduction by yourself.
- Talk about a time you improved a process
- Tell me about specific experiences.
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with difficult colleagues
- Share the experience of a decision that you took without informing your supervisors? Why did you decide not to inform them, when they were most likely to jump on board to your idea?
- Walk me through the customer funnel for this product?
- Product Manager interview questions for Google Facebook and Amazon
- Marketing Manager Specialist Strategist Associate interview questions
- What is Googlyness
Nail your FAANG Interview With Our Software Development Engineer Interview Program